Circlesquare
Songs About Dancing and Drugs
2009
Canadian living in Berlin - left field house or techno, surely? No. Not at all. Get your coat. First coming to the attention of the music loving community at large with a series of sought after releases on Trevor Jackson's Output label Circlesquare, or Jeremy Shaw to his postman, actually recorded this, his second album, over a year ago but it is only now seeing the light of day on !K7. In the quickly shifting ebb & flow of the world's musical arteries, a year is long enough for a trend to to be created, saturated and over, before it filters down to the wider public. And it's usually, creatively questionable - Remember Nu Rave? Happily, Circlesquare seems as interested in musical trends as I am about lipstick. What interests Jeremy, is "future music" as he told me in a recent interview for Electronic Beats. And where I may challenge the use of the word future - I would be reluctant to challenge anything else he says, as Songs About Dancing And Drugs ( they are) is at turns, melancholic, sad and reflective. There is more than a dose of the Magnetic Fields or perhaps shoegaze/ C86 woven into the electronics, but with a more playful outlook, a nod and a wink if you like. Sad music to make me happy. One thing however, I cannot remove the image of Chris Isaak jamming with Interpol out of my head. That's good though. I like this album. Very much.

No comments: